TSDS keeps our brand of fun accessible and economical, while still paying our teachers and DJ’s decently, by the extensive use of volunteers. Our strength and success comes from the energy and dedication of our team of volunteers.
If you would like to donate some of your time and energy for a good cause, please speak to any member of the TSDS Executive for further information. Volunteering for TSDS has its rewards ranging from free admission to all dances, lessons and workshops for the members of the elected Executive Committee who carry the most responsibility, to free admission to a regular Friday night dance in exchange for spending one hour helping at that dance or another of our events.
For further information about volunteering, please contact us!
More information about Volunteering Opportunities:
There are several elected executive positions such as President, Treasurer, and Membership Secretary. Every member of TSDS in good standing has the right to vote on who gets elected every year to these crucial positions. Any member can stand for office provided that they have been a member for a period of time (varies by position) and do not have a conflict of interest.
Every little bit of help is appreciated, and here are some of the ways you can contribute on an occasional or ongoing basis:
- set up and teardown (equipment, chairs, tables, flyers, etc.)
- door people (greeting guests, selling tickets, tracking numbers, etc.)
- refreshment management
- publicity (e.g. writing snappy copy for various media, scouting new venues for advertising)
- flyer distribution
- database management
- membership outreach (e.g. youth, non-swing dance communities)
- sound system (e.g. sound checks, technical advice)
The following are elected volunteer positions.
- Past-President (ex officio)
- Administrative Secretary
- Membership Secretary
- Friday Dance Coordinator
- Monday Night Lesson Coordinator
- Workshop Coordinator
- Special Events Coordinator
- Publicity Coordinator
- Volunteer Coordinator
We also need volunteers to assist the above Coordinators. If you want to help out, please speak to the Volunteer Coordinator.
Here’s an overview of what we do and where we need more help:
Friday Dances (1 or 2 nights a month)
- Setup & Teardown
- Door People
Monday Night Lessons
- Door People
- Travel Co-ordinator
- Registration Assistance
- Setup & Teardown (several people)
Special Events (Holiday Swing Dance, Halloween, etc)
- A variety of tasks, from planning to execution. Depends a lot on the event.
- Always need door people and Setup/teardown.
- Publicity (for all of the above)
- Flier distribution
- Collecting names and addresses into a database
- Posting fliers in public locations